Originally built in 1890, this small frame church shares its birth year with the City of Ballard. It was constructed to serve what was the relatively new flock of the German Evangelical Congregational Church (see "Earlier Congregations.") The original building stands largely unchanged. It is constructed of old growth, rough cut fir timbers with cedar v-groove ship-lap siding on the exterior. The sanctuary features straight-grain fir flooring and the original wainscoting.
The Ballard School Board rented the building for a few years as a schoolhouse, but it returned to its original intent as a church in 1904 when another German congregation led by Rev. E. Leutwein acquired the property for the St. Paul's Evangelical Church. At that time, extensive repairs were undertaken, including the removal and replacement of the original tall steeple, which had become unsafe. In 1917, an addition was built behind the sanctuary and fellowship hall below to create two bathrooms and a kitchen downstairs and a large room (currently small group meeting room) upstairs.
In 1939, during the era of the Zion Church of the Lutheran Brethern, a second addition was added (behind the first addition) which created a small 10'x10' room (currently used as a consultation room) and bathroom upstairs, an internal stairway and another 10'x10' room downstairs (currently used as the church office.)
Over the years, other congregations have been housed in this historic building, each moving on to larger quarters and turning it over to other newer congregations. In 1981, Landmark designation was approved by the City of Seattle for this structure.
In the mid-1990s a major upgrade to the building replaced most of the windows with modern double pane vinyl clad windows while maintaining the basic style and look of the originals. The two original arched windows on either side of the main entry were retained. During this renovation, the front porch was also rebuilt and electrical improvements were completed in the fellowship hall below the sanctuary.
Today it is home to Interfaith Community Sanctuary (est. 1999), honoring all faith spiritual traditions. It remains a fine example of the small 19th and early 20th century community churches of the region.
(this picture reflects how the building looked from the early 1970's through the mid-1990's during the era of the New Age Christian Church)