Welcome to Interfaith Community Sanctuary!
Over the years, our historic building has been the home of a number of church congregations. Our research continues but this is what we know so far:
- Built and first occupied by the German Evangelical Congregational Church in 1890. For the first five years, this congregation was led by pastor Gottried Graedel who worked in a local shingle mill to earn his living. Pastor Graedel moved on in about 1895 to found a number of other churches, mostly in Eastern Washington State. He died in 1938. The congregation he led in Ballard continued for another 5 years but disbanded in 1900 due to lack of support.
- From 1900-1904 the building was rented out to the Ballard School District for use as a school house. (The City of Ballard was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1907.)
- In 1904, another group of German immigrants took over the building and created St. Paul's Evangelical and Reformed Church led by Rev. E. Leutwein. This congregation occupied the space until 1931 when it moved a few blocks east to a new and larger facility at NW 65th St and 12th Ave NW. It is now known as St. Paul's United Church of Christ.
- From 1931-1950 the building was home to the Zion Church of the Lutheran Brethren. In 1950, the Zion Church moved to 70th and Greenwood in Seattle to a new larger brick structure and renamed itself the Rock of Ages Lutheran Church. It continues today at that location.
- In 1950, the building was sold to the Apostolic Lutheran Church who occupied the space until 1973. In the winter of 2006, Rev Alvin C. Holmgren, Pastor of the Apostolic Lutheran Church visited Interfaith Community Sanctuary. He told us that he was minister here in 1950 through 1973 when his congregation outgrew the space and moved to 198th and Fremont N. in what is now Shoreline. Rev Holmgren explained that he lived here with his family, a wife and two children. The minister's quarters were our present Lavender Room and Consultation Room. The kitchen was on the west side of the Lavender Room and the living room was on the east side, divided by a wall. The minister and his wife's bedroom was our current Consultation Room. The children slept on cots in the living room. For more history of the Apostolic Lutheran Church visit: http://www.apostoliclutheranchurch.org/History.asp
- In 1973, the building was sold to the New Age Christian Church when the previous congregation moved to a larger space. The NACC occupied the space until 2000.
- In 2000, the building was deeded to the newly created Interfaith Community Sanctuary which continues to occupy the space. For more about the history and formation of the ICS go to "ICS History."